Transcription of Document FFDoc-1249.pdf |
| Document Details |
||||
| Document Number |
Date |
Type |
From |
To |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| 1249 |
06/17/1971 | Letter | Pelletier, Dot |
Shields, Frank |
|
Thursday 6-17-71, 6:20 PM Dear Ronnie & Frank: Have a few minutes to spare while I sit - alone - in the Human Relations Services office waiting for our last board meeting of the year (I'm chairman! - that should give you a chuckle). Have a few minutes to spar this is before the rest of the Exec committee arrives to discuss the budget before the meeting. So thought I'd bring you up to date on Leo. Today was the day he was to meet with the 5 experts - as it turned out they did all their consulting & reviewing without involving the patient - we sat & cooled our heels - and then Dr. Carroll, tumor man, spoke with us. The big news, and apparently news to be thankful for, was that the liver scan was negative - no tumor, no involvment. The consensus of the team was that there should be an exploratory operation to see exactly what "process" is operating & has to be dealt with. Leo's surgeon is to contact him tomorrow. Friday: 9PM Didn't get far! Dr Dillihunt called Leo today - at least 24 hrs had gone by so he had a chance to discuss all the things that occurred to us after the meeting yesterday. As of this noon Leo was saying he didn't like the sound of an exploratory & guessed he wouldn't have it. I didn't argue - knew he had his own battle to wage &, given time & some explanations, he'd be sensible. Tonight he says it's all settled & the Dr. will notify him of the admission date - not possible before July 1. As I understand it from Leo the operation will serve 1 or more of 3 purposes: 1. Establish that the "problem" is or isn't malignant (always allowing that slim chance that it aint!) 2. if the obstruction proves to be operable, it will be removed. 3. if drug/radiation therapy is indicated they can decide on the course of treatment and insert silver pins to pinpoint the treatment area. At his suggestion he assured him they'd explore his "old" operation & colostomy before and during the exploratory. Leo works every moment he's comfortable & the doctors encourage it. Yesterday & today he told them (him, today) his wife was "very anxious" to attend her brother's wedding in N.Y. this coming weekend (I'd like to - but I'm not anxious if he can't go!!) but he couldn't ride much more than an hour without real discomfort. The "short" of is that the Dr. said to take all his pain & tranquillizer pills and "go" - then wound up saying he was "prescribing" the trip as relaxation; a necessary element to one facing surgery. Even prescribed that he enjoy himself in a situation that would be a happy one - have a few cocktails!! So this evening I did engage him in talking about his intentions. He can't be explicit, but knows he could be down in the back seat, stop frequently & walk around for relief - he even mentioned the possibility of his flying to Albany & meeting us at Frank's. But there has been no decision and all I know is that it will depend on how he feels. I think I shall push for his going, not for my sake but for his. For 6 months, almost, he's missed his Saturday trips to Dover for grocery shopping, hasn't take in any soles[?] - has done none of the things that interest him & for which he's famous. Believe it or not, I've found myself wishing we could take in a sale or go shopping & I never thought I'd get back to that point!!! Sooo - in essence part of this letter is our RSVP to Anne - and a pretty indefinite one at that, and a very late one. So, Frank, just don't worry about counting us in the number of happy guests at your wedding. If we get there we'll take pot luck on food & lodging. There would be only 4 of us, since Pat isn't home & Maureen is scheduled of an entrance exam (nurses training) in Manchester, NH, that day. If we don't get there perhaps you can make our excuses to the family based on Leo's being busy with tax bills or liens - my own idea is they could get thru the festivities without worrying -after that, you're on your own. If we do get there Leo can handle it his own way. Soo - that's my message. School is all over, Jeanne has graduated. She has a summer job in my office and that means we're a two-car family needing three!! Don't know how we'll handle that but presume we'll plan something!! Our very best to all of you - would like to join the clan in the celebration, but if we can't you may be sure we'll be with you in spirit. Love and prayers, Dot & Leo |